Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Vote: The Right Thing You Have to Do

Like a lot of Los Angeles transplants, I come from a very conservative small town that bled for America. Like a lot of Los Angeles transplants, I had a lot of liberal ideas that didn't fit in with the conservative small town mind, like maybe we shouldn't murder people because they were gay. But for the past five years, I've had one belief so unfathomable to both the liberals and the conservatives that it has gotten me into quite a few screaming matches and has cost me a few acquaintances.

I believe that it is just as American to not vote as it is to vote.

The thought of somebody not voting - especially in an election year - is the liberal equivalent to the conservative outrage of someone being gay, having an abortion, and saying that you support Clinton - either one - all at the same time. Real quotes said to me in regards to this belief are:

"This is a real sore point with me, I am a little upset that you feel it's not important to vote."

"...by refusing for whatever reason to stand up and be counted, I believe we become complicit in whatever happens next, good or bad."

"Work up the energy to care about the country you're living in and the other people in it."

Nobody stopped frothing until I said that I vote.

I've seen a lot of PSA's and been to many school and after school functions where peer pressure has been a major point of discussion. We went over how to say no to drugs, alcohol, breaking the law, and sex. And the only time I've felt the ridiculous scripts we were given to act out were when I engage in the "Right to Vote" conversation with someone:

Voting Bully: Hey, are you going to vote on November 4th?
Victim: No, I don't really believe that either candidate would be an effective leader for this country.
Voting Bully: Oh, come on - it's just one little vote! All our friends are going to do it!
Victim: I wouldn't feel right. Plus, some of the props are written so that someone loses and someone stands to gain too much.
Voting Bully: If you don't vote, I'll tell everyone and then everyone will make fun of you for not being part of the democratic system!
Victim: I don't care! If standing up for what I believe in costs me some friends, then I guess you weren't really my friends to begin with!
Voting Bully: You'll be sorry when we're all voting to elect history and changing the world!
Victim: No, you'll be sorry in four years when you're back to saying that this is the most important election ever!
Voting Bully: Only losers don't vote!
Victim: Only a loser would give in to peer pressure!

Just sayin', folks.

No comments: